Wednesday, July 20, 2005

More Walcott

Narrative originates in the heart, time's
pendulum and apostrophe, until the heart's scales
are swung to a standstill, to a breathing balance,
a light meridian of the hemispheres -
saying to the sea and Europe, "Here I am,"
division swayed by justice, poetry
unbiased to an absolute pivot, that is my sword's
surrendering victory over myself, my better halves.

- Derek Walcott 'The Prodigal'

Sigh. You can think you can write and then you come across something this achingly beautifully, so breathtakingly perfect and you think "Who am I kidding? I could never, ever write this. Not if I lived to be 200 years old."

Mediocrity is a very hard thing to deal with at all times, but it's especially difficult when it's your own.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read » » »