Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Dante Revisited

"Per me si va ne la città dolente,
per me si va ne l’etterno dolore,
per me si va tra la perduta gente....

...Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch’intrate’"

- Dante, Inferno, Canto III
Translation (by H.W. Longfellow):

"Through me is the way to the city dolent;
Through me is the way to eternal dole;
Through me the way among the people lost...

...All hope abandon, ye who enter in!"

Every time I read this, I think to myself - if you saw these words written on the gates to Hell, how would you know whether you were coming in or going out?

Meanwhile, if you're a Dante fan, don't forget to visit the Virtual Tour of Hell (link courtesy Guardian's Culture Vulture Blog). Good fun. And a great introduction to the basics of the Inferno.

1 comment:

n said...

the angst of modern life. but no angry young man?