Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Conversation # 3

"Oh, come on!"

"No."

"You owe me that much."

"I don't owe you a thing."

"All right, you owe it to yourself."

"I can't think about myself just now."

"Why not?"

"Because I don't have the time."

"Time for yourself?"

"Time for the past."

"Isn't it the same thing?"

"Perhaps."

"You're wrong, you know. There's always time for the past. It's the future we have to make time for."

"You don't have a future."

"And you do?"

"After today? Yes."

"Oh, that. But that isn't really a future you know. It's just the past all over again."

"It's good enough for me."

"Really? I thought that was what you came here to escape."

"No. I came here to escape the other future. The old one."

"The one in your past?"

"Yes."

"So that's it then. You're really going to do it?"

"Yes."

"Well? What are you waiting for?"

"For you."

"Me? What have I got to do with it?"

"You have to agree."

"You don't need me to agree. You can do what you like. I can't stop you."

"I know. But I don't want to do it that way. I want you to agree."

"Why?"

"Because it wouldn't be right otherwise."

"Why?"

"Because it would change things."

"And you're worried if you change things now the past won't come back?"

"Yes."

"I'm never going to agree, you know."

"You must."

"I won't."

"Come on!"

"No."

"You owe me that much."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brilliant!