Sunday, January 24, 2010

Pretend

After a point I think we both knew I was only pretending to pretend. Trying to make it easy on you, so you wouldn't have to deal with the fact that I believed in something that could never come true. So you wouldn't have to trot out the usual reasons, the old arguments I knew so well I could have recited them in my sleep, knew them the way one knows a line of poetry or a speech from a play, one rehearsed so often it no longer means what it was meant to say. So we could spend all day laughing at my foolishness, my silly play-acting, and I could go home and drink myself to sleep every night, secure in the knowledge that I could tell you anything, anything at all. But the truth.

3 comments:

Another Pretender said...

Dedicated to a belle from your past? Everyone has the one that got away.

Anonymous said...

Everyone does have one-
Not only the one that got away, but
the one they had to get away from..

keep writing! its nice to come across someone who you can relate to so much, without even knowing them...

Roy said...

nice...