Friday, October 24, 2008

Undecided

"I think of being on an airplane. The flight attendant comes down the aisle with her food cart and, eventually, parks it beside my seat. “Can I interest you in the chicken?” she asks. “Or would you prefer the platter of shit with bits of broken glass in it?”

To be undecided in this election is to pause for a moment and then ask how the chicken is cooked."

Personally, I'm still trying to decide whether I like David Sedaris' new piece in the New Yorker, but I figured I may as well point you to it anyway.


3 comments:

km said...

I am only very mildly amused by Sedaris's writing. I know it's supposed to be ironic and funny and all modern, but it just leaves me cold.

Falstaff said...

km: If you're talking about just this article then I tend to agree - I definitely think it's sub-par. I'm quite fond of the man's writing more generally, though.

ggop said...

I think he has very interesting stories - his earlier books had cringe worthy experiences as a house cleaner or an elf at a dept store.

I haven't loved the recent two books as much as Me Talk Pretty One Day.