Sunday, December 13, 2009

A moment's happiness

"Are you happy?"

"You mean now, in this moment? Or generally, in life?"

"Either. Both."

"Well, I'm happy right now."

"And in life?"

"I guess. On average."

"Why are you happy?"

"Because I'm with you."

"No, seriously."

"I don't know. I just am. Aren't you?"

"Happy?"

"Yes."

"Right now? Or in life?"

"Right now."

"I don't know."

"How can you not know?"

"Do you always know when you're happy?"

"I know when I'm not."

"Well, I know that I'm not not happy. I just don't know if I am."

"Don't you like being with me?"

"Of course I do. Being with you makes me really happy."

"So?"

"I guess I'm happy that you're you, but I'm not happy that I'm me."

"You'd be happier I were with someone else?"

"No. I'd be happier if you were with me and I was someone else."

"Who?"

"Someone different."

"Different how?"

"I don't know. More alive. More capable of happiness. Someone who wouldn't sit here with you feeling sad."

"So you're sitting here feeling sad because you're not someone who wouldn't sit here feeling sad."

"I guess."

"You're crazy, you know."

"I know. Does it make you less happy to be with me, knowing that."

"On the contrary, it makes me happier."

"How come?"

"I like being with a crazy person."

"Why?"

"It's exciting."

"Why?"

"I don't know. Because there's always the chance of something new. Unexpected."

"And you like that?"

"Yes?"

"But I thought you were perfectly happy just the way we are."

"I didn't say I was perfectly happy. There's no such thing as perfect happiness."

"But you're happy?"

"Yes."

"Yet you'd like for something new and unexpected to happen? You'd like for things to change?"

"No. I'd hate for things to change. I just like knowing that there's the possibility that they might."

"You're pretty crazy yourself you know."

"I'm not. I'm just philosophical."

"There's a difference?"

"Of course there is."

"What?"

"I don't know. I just know there is."

"How can you know something when you don't know it?"

"Okay, fine, I dream there is."

"Any moment now you're going to quote Hamlet at me, aren't you?"

"I was thinking about it."

"I could tell."

"You can always tell."

"I know. It's great isn't it?"

"It's special."

"It's why being with you makes me feel..."

"...happy?"

"...philosophical."

"I feel philosophical being with you too."

"I know. Crazy, isn't it?"

13 comments:

Space Bar said...

now this sounds like one of veena's anniversary posts, only turned on its head.

Anonymous said...

Good one. The conversation sounds so familiar to me.

rakhi said...

A gem of a conversation! Thanks for putting it up and reminding me that a certain *we* are like this too.

Shruti said...

I love you. Seriously.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, now that I see other people doing it, I guess even I should quickly profess my love before it gets too crowded.

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of whether the glass is half full or half empty :)
Read a lot in this conversation...

hopscotch said...

Just feel like knowing whether it was the gal or the guy who started this conversation... and yes, the quote from 'Hamlet'...

Falstaff said...

SB: Hmmm. I have a feeling at least one of us should be insulted by that comment. I'm going to let it be Veena.

Anon: Thanks

rakhi: You're welcome

Shruti / Anon2: Thanks?

Indianhomemaker: Err...okay. Why do I have a feeling you're getting more out of this conversation than I put into it?

hopscotch: What do you think?

Also, no reason to assume heterosexuality.

hopscotch said...

Ahem. Heterosexuality was assumed coz I just find it difficult to imagine two guys getting so philosophical about happiness...Don't they have a match to watch? (I guess we all live in our own stereotypes)

Anyways..I think the quote is...
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy"(Act I Scene V)

Falstaff said...

hopscotch: Ummm...even if we assume for a moment that stereotype is true (and it's not) they could still both be women, no?

And yes, that's the quote, obviously.

Anonymous said...

Magnificent!I could be either of the two in the conversation

Anonymous said...

I assumed "she" started the conversation.

CrazyDiamond said...

brilliant.
I'm going go now and try duplicate. Not the happiness, but the philosophy.