Friday, March 03, 2006

Freezing Rain

Right. Enough politics. When Mumbai Mirror starts quoting you, you know it's time you got back to what really mattered. Like the weather, for instance.

Don't you just hate it when they describe the weather outside as freezing rain? I mean, snow I can handle. Snow is like one of those big fluffy dogs that look like they might have polar bear blood in them - the kind that are all cute and loving and stuff, and will come and put their paws on your shoulder (while you're standing up) and proceed to lick you till you feel like a postage stamp. Snow is like that - like some big fuzzy animal that you don't really want to have deal with, but can't really find it in your heart to feel indignant about.

Freezing rain is another proposition entirely. The very name makes you think of some angular sharp-tongued geography teacher. Or some stepmother in a fairy tale. Freezing rain. Why do they have to add the adjective anyway? Couldn't they just say rain and leave it at that? We all know what the temperature is outside, we can figure it out. But no, the weather channel people have to rub this in, don't they? You can see them rubbing their mittened hands in glee. The sadists. What can you expect from people who give hurricanes the names of young girls.

Fortunately, on days like this, one always has one's inner resources to fall back on. Said resources consisting mostly of copious quantities of hot chocolate, and a stunning recording one recently acquired of Horowitz playing Schubert and Chopin. Glorious.

Categories:

6 comments:

Nessa said...

Hehehe.. I thought you meant thermals :)

The ramblings of a shoe fiend said...

Hot chocolate and classical music - who is rubbing things in now?
*girl drinks mud like coffee from office kitchen*

Bonatellis said...

congratulations on the Mumbai Mirror thingy ...

Falstaff said...

Nessa: No, no, why go out on a day like that. Not everyone has a pink umbrella, you know. Or a job.

Shoe-fiend: Ya well, nothing so difficult about either hot chocolate or classical music, is there? Buy CD, press play, heat milk, open packet, stir. And there you are.

Bonatellis: Errr...Thanks. To tell you the truth though, I'm far from ecstatic about the whole thing. I think it's because I just don't like the idea that some arbitrary rant of mine could end up that much in the public domain. I mean okay, so I've always known at a conceptual level that blogs are public, but I never really expected people to READ this stuff. Or at least, I assumed that people reading this stuff would have read it often enough to know that I'm never more than half serious about anything (well, except poetry). I know it's illogical but I can't shake the feeling that if something I write is going to end up in a newspaper (even in the Mumbai Mirror) then I should be written and thought through with care. Maybe it has something to do with the my perception of blogs as a fundamentally less formal medium.

Then again, maybe it's just that I'm a snob and this is the Mumbai Mirror!

On the whole, the fact that an extract from the Roy post got quoted only served as a reminder that I may be taking myself too seriously and should stick to what I'm good at, which is being trivial.

Confused: Huh? I thought I did link to the piece. Oh well. You can find it in the views section, under Mayank Shekhar's piece on the Bush visit (I'm now being quoted in a paper that has op-ed pieces by Mayank Shekhar! Kill me, kill me now!). It's this thing called (wince!) Blogger's Park. Alteratively, just search for blog on the main page.

As for the congratulations - thanks, but see above

Bonatellis said...

;)

Bonatellis said...

btw, i think serious bloggers are awful bloggers ...