Sunday, November 27, 2005

Somebody stole my break...

...or the Top 5 break-up songs of all time.

(This is why you shouldn't watch High Fidelity at 1 in the morning on a Saturday night)

1. Bob Dylan, 'She's your lover now'; from The Bootleg Series Volumes 1-3

Pain sure brings out the best in people, doesn't it?
Why didn't you just leave me if you didn't want to stay?
Why'd you have to treat me so bad?
Did it have to be that way?
Now you stand here expectin' me to remember somethin' you forgot to say

2. Joan Baez, 'It's all over now, Baby Blue'; from Farewell Angelina; originally by Bob Dylan.

The highway is for gamblers, better use your sense.
Take what you have gathered from coincidence.
The empty-handed painter from your streets
Is drawing crazy patterns on your sheets.
This sky, too, is folding under you
And it's all over now, Baby Blue.

3. Stephen Sondheim, 'Send in the Clowns'; from Little Night Music

Don't you love farce?
My fault, I fear.
I thought that you'd want what I want -
Sorry, my dear.
But where are the clowns?
There ought to be clowns.
Quick, send in the clowns.

4. Joni Mitchell, 'Still like to see you sometimes'; from For the Roses

I’ll come meet your plane
No need to surrender
I just want to see you again
We’re in for more rain
I could sure use some sunshine on my apple trees
It seems such a shame
We start out so kind and end so heartlessly

5 Ella Fitzgerald singing 'Just one of those things'; written by Cole Porter

As Dorothy Parker once said to her boy friend,
"Fare thee well,"
As Columbus announced
When he knew he was bounced,
"It was swell, Isabelle, swell,"

As Abélard said to Héloïse,
"Don't forget to drop a line to me, please,"
As Juliet cried in her Romeo's ear,
"Romeo, why not face the fact, my dear?"

4 comments:

Heh Heh said...

nice. feet-sticky-mush.

Falstaff said...

Heh: Thanks. Though hardly mushy. Well, okay, maybe the Mitchell and the Sondheim a bit, but Dylan is hardly sentimental and the Cole Porter is pure laughter (it's not like I picked Begin the Beguine or something).

Mrudula said...

:)

Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP Buy contact lens kits Houston tennis club Shemale kingston ontario Skull candy headsets cellphones merchant account Acne and effexor Oldies real ringtones Cancer cancer cancer colon colorectal rectal 1983 mazda b2000cluch audi dealer Bextra dose