Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Oscar Picks

The nominations for the 78th Academy Awards are out, so I figured I'd be my usual hyper-arrogant self and pick the movies / people that should [1] win [2] (links lead to relevant reviews by yours truly):

Best Actor: Philip Seymour Hoffman, 'Capote'

Supporting Actor: Matt Dillon, 'Crash'

Best Actress: Felicity Huffman, 'Transamerica'

Supporting Actress: Michelle Williams, 'Brokeback Mountain'

Best Animated Film: 'Wallace and Gromit in the curse of the Were-rabbit'

Art Direction: 'Good Night and Good Luck'

Cinematography: 'Good Night and Good Luck'

Director: Ang Lee, 'Brokeback Mountain'

Best Picture: 'Capote'

Best Adapted Screenplay: 'Capote'

Best Original Screenplay: 'The Squid and the Whale' (or 'Good Night and Good Luck'; I'm okay with either one)

Movies / people who should NOT win:

Keira Knightley for best actress

Rachel Weisz for best supporting actress (can you believe they nominated her and didn't nominate Ralph Fiennes! Are these people blind?)

Anything related to 'Munich'.

Notes:

[1] As with my earlier posts about the Bookers - this means the ones that should win on merit - not the ones I think are likely to win.

[2] In the interests of disclosure, let me say that I haven't seen the following movies: Walk the Line, A History of Violence, Cinderella Man, North Country, Junebug, Memoirs of a Geisha, The New World. Also none of the foreign film nominees (much to my shame) and only two of documentary features - March of the Penguins and Murderball - neither of which I cared much for.

Categories: ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! » »