Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Did he or didn't he?

Forgive me, I couldn't resist.

At the risk of offending people who take hip-hop seriously, I have to admit that I died laughing reading this article about the rapidly changing nomenclature of a certain popular 'artist'. I can totally see how people who listen to hip-hop could have problems dealing with the incredible complexity of names over two syllables. How were they to know that the P was silent.

For what it's worth, I think this is a bold and dynamic artistic move, that many other artist should emulate. Think of all the other people who could have names that were so much more evocative, if they just chose not to mind their Ps: Britney Sears, Ink Floyd, The Artist formerly known as Rinse, The Retenders, Jimmy Age, Charlie 'Arker, Aul McCartney; not to mention the Red Hot Chilli Eers or Dee Urle.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So since when do we care about offending people who take hip-hop seriously??

Falstaff said...

Now, now, did you not see my earlier post about being humble and not trying to crush the little people?

Falstaff said...

et tu Neela?

No, no, absolutely no way I would rather be called half a dollar than Falstaff. Now Black Eyed Pea is a completely different matter...

Falstaff said...

N: Agree - and yes, that is a brilliant recording.

Know what you mean about the C minor concertos - though ironically, it's a sound I associate much more with Beethoven than with Mozart. I suppose logically the influence must have gone from Mozart to Beethoven, but somehow it always strikes me as being the other way around.

Also, for similarities to Beethoven, I think nothing compares to Mozart's Piano Concerto no 20 in D minor K 446. Every time I listen to it I have to remind myself that it's Mozart and not Beethoven.

Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! online gambling buy fioricet Fishing reports nj Wipout harddrive Clarins anti cellulite fishing