Monday, August 22, 2005

Restless Farewell

Is it just me or do other people get last minute travelling blues as well? Take today. I'm off on a one week trip to some obscure parts of the West. I've been looking forward to this all week. Yet today, with two hours left to go before I set off, I'm sitting here thinking "Why did I do this to myself? I could have just spent the time vegetating at home, reading a book. Instead I'm going off traipsing through god alone knows what wilderness. All sorts of terrible things could happen. I could get in an accident and die, I could get arrested for some crime I didn't commit and get lynched by vigilantes (I don't even have a cousin Vinny!) - worse, my iPod could run out of battery. Why, oh why am I doing this to myself? Is it too late to cancel?"

Of course, there's a part of me that knows that I'm just imagining this - that I'm going to have a great time and everything's going to be fine. But I swear - if it wasn't for the fact that I'm going with friends and that Jet Blue won't refund my money, I would seriously have considered cancelling, even now.

You know how some people have wander lust? I have stay-at-home lust - the restless feeling you get when all you want to do is stay at home and relax and you can't.

Oh well. As Dylan would say:

Oh, ev'ry thought that's strung a knot in my mind,
I might go insane if it couldn't be sprung.
But it's not to stand naked under unknowin' eyes,
It's for myself and my friends my stories are sung.
But the time ain't tall,
Yet on time you depend and no word is possessed
By no special friend.
And though the line is cut,
It ain't quite the end,
I'll just bid farewell till we meet again.

4 comments:

The ramblings of a shoe fiend said...

know what you mean... even when i'm going on holiday i have an inexplicable desire to jump out the cab and run back inside before it sets off to the airport

DoZ said...

Have you noticed how the city you live in suddenly becomes amazing the minute you have to leave it for even just a couple of days? The weather becomes miraculously wonderful, friends who don't give you the time of the day suddenly have fun stuff planned... even the boss leaves town, so you don't even want to get away from work!

Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info ativan atavan meridia weight loss Monet wedding invitations Anal gay insertion faster software downloads Art domainname Bulk mailer help Bmw motorcycle service manuals Chevrolet roof racks refurbished danger headset massive headphones games to play at recess

Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP »