Friday, August 12, 2005

Novelty Seeking


Reading the Booker Long List made me realise how incredible an year it's been for novels by writers I care for. At least half the authors still writing whose work I love have published in the last 12 months. 2004-05 has seen new books by (in descending order of importance to me): J.M. Coetzee, Derek Walcott, Haruki Murakami, Philip Roth, Salman Rushdie, Jeanette Winterson, Imre Kertesz, Ian McEwan, Zadie Smith, Colm Toibin and Julian Barnes. Not to mention the new Marilynne Robinson. And the new Irving and Ishiguro novels (both of whom I find readable but far from exciting).

My cup runneth over.

1 comment:

Veena said...

Trying to con people to read books on the longlist and write a review before Oct 10th. Wondering if you might be interested?

Check http://onayahuasca.blogspot.com/2005/08/2005-booker-mela.html for details.

Thanks!